Friday, March 1, 2019

James Nicol Millar, BHS '72 (1954-2019)


James Nicol Millar
January 18, 1954 – February 7, 2019

OBITUARY
James Nicol Millar was born on January 18, 1954 and passed away on February 7, 2019. His parents were from Scotland and James grew up in Burbank. He graduated from Burbank High School in 1972 and will be missed by many. RIP Jim.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/north-hollywood-ca/james-millar-8184806

Friend and neighbor, Wes Clark, posted the following on Facebook:
He lived across the street from me on Lincoln Street. Nice guy. His Scottish mom and dad were wonderful people, too (but I sometimes had a hard time understanding his father!). See that gold jacket? He lent it to me for my BHS senior picture! Millars story: Jim, his parents (Archie and Margaret), a friend of Archie's who played bagpipes, my parents, a Scottish blond about my age I fell in love with and I paraded up and down Lincoln Street on New Year's Eve 1974. (That is 73-74.) Jim's dad played a drum. It was quite noisy but fun. Why didn't we do this in subsequent years? I had a blast. As I recall, Jim was the Burbank Darts Champ at the British pub on... Burbank? Magnolia? I forget. He worked at that place that made foam across the parking lot from Standard Brands on Victory. Another Millars story: My dad once parked his Karmann-Ghia on our driveway, which was up a little hill. One day he parked it but forgot to set the brake and left the car in neutral. It rolled in a straight line all the way across Lincoln, stopping neatly in the Millars' driveway and doing no damage! Archie arrived at our door and said, "Ach, mon, ya gotta come an' get your car!"

Photo below from 1976: Me on the left, unknown Millar's friend next to me, my father and Archie. The Millar's driveway is behind me. Good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment