Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Phil Culotta, BHS '63 (1945-2022)

Dee Dee Daugharty Culotta '66 shared this sad report about her brother-in-law, Phil Culotta...

I have some bad news. Phil passed away this morning in his sleep in Az. He had been dealing with cancer for a couple of years. At least he died peacefully in his sleep so that is a blessing. He is with A.J. now.

He was born in March of 1945 and he died at the age of 77 on Nov. 8th, 2022. He was married to Lori Culotta and spent his last several years living in AZ. He will be missed for sure.  

Phil was captain of the football team. A.J. Culotta was his brother and was Dee Dee's husband. A.J. was a '64 graduate of Burroughs. RIP Phil and A.J.

LINK TO FIND A GRAVE FOR A.J. 
 
A FEW FACEBOOK COMMENTS...
  • Carrie Diaz-Lathouwers
    My condolences to all his family and friends. RIP 🙏

  • Mary Boriso Jordan
    Oh, my goodness....Rest in peace, Phil....🌹

  • John Panarisi
    So sorry to hear

  • Jolene Firgens
    Oh so sorry to hear this. He was a great football player for BHS. Condolences to you Darlene. I’m so sad for you. 🙁

    Darlene Culotta
    Jolene Firgens Thank you. He is a big loss.

  • Bev Peters
    May he RIP


  • Martin Lillibridge
    RIP Bulldog 🙏


  • Carole Wells
    So sad. Remembering the days my boyfriend, and husband of 15 years, (Jerry Sutton BHS '62) and I loved watching the Brinkworth-Culotta plays. The best of times! May his memory be a blessing to his family as well as to all who saw him play football.

  • Darlene Culotta
    Carole Wells He was a very special guy ...He will be missed..

    Nancy Knight
    This is Nancy Garner knight. I was Phil’s first girlfriend after his family moved to Burbank. Most of his old friends
    we’re from Burroughs even though he went to Burbank. I will let them know. Condolences to his family

  • Jerry Sutton, BHS '62 (1944-2021)
    BURBANKHIGHBLOG.BLOGSPOT.COM
    Jerry Sutton, BHS '62 (1944-2021)

    Darlene Culotta
    Cathy Palmer Very sorry Carole about losing your husband. I know the feeling. I lost mine 2 -1/2 yrs. ago. Then my brother Monte one year ago. It's tough being a widow and watching all of our family members leave us.

  • Carole Wells
    Darlene Culotta Thank you, Darlene. Jerry and I dated all through high school and married after I completed my second year of college. We had many nice years together, but went our separate ways in 1981. We went to every football game and dance together from February of 1961 until I graduated in 1963. I am so sorry for your losses. May you find peace in the memories and love you had for them.

  • Darlene Culotta
    Carole Wells Thank you Carole. The memories are bittersweet. Hardly anyone left to even talk about my memories with anymore. Sad, but happy they are all in Heaven together.

  • Donna Luce Veatch Neitman
    Condolences to his family! 🙏🙏 RIP Phil!


  • Joseph Baldino
    I knew him from Football I was also referee for games when his son Played

  • Vicki Herrin Fields
    Rest in Peace ⚘️

  • Timothy Zuma Tim Tolnay
    So very sorry to hear about Phil. I was 13 yrs old attending Jonn Muir and as an avid athlete we all heard of the exploits of the big boys at Burbank High. Phil was one of those legends and yes everyone knew his name. Two of my uncles, Barry and Gary Wootton played around that same time...RIP Phil.



  • Richard Clarke
    Phil was the “King” in HS for his talent playing football. He was also a great person, very sad to hear such news. RIP and God Bless, a real loss for everyone.



  • Julie Guttridge
    Sorry for another loss in your family DeeDee. We know Phil is out of pain & with Jesus & AJ. In heaven .

    Darlene Culotta
    Julie Guttridge Yes he is, and those 2 brothers adored each other, so they are happy again now in Heaven together. My brother is with them too. I'm a little jealous. Miss them all.

    Julie Guttridge
    Darlene Culotta yes! Monte is with them too !

  • Deanna Bergman
    Kind sympathies to the family! 🌺

  • Connie Froeberg
    So sorry for your loss, Darlene..

  • Jaydean Gordon Dyer
    I will always think of him as one of the nicest people I’ve known. So sorry to hear of his passing. Blessings to his family and friends. RIP dear friend.❤️🙏😢


  • Warren Swanson
    Oh, so sorry. He was an awesome running back. Loved watching him play.

  • Mickey DePalo
    Rest In Peace


  • Daniel S Brumley
    He was a football legend at BHS. God bless the family.

  • Sharon Anderson McEntire
    🙏🙏🙏 RIP!! Condolences to the family! 😪

  • Ginny Smallenburg
    I am so sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family. We attended high school together. He was known to all not only for football but also for his fun personality.

  • Lorraine Zensen
    Oh DeeDee I’m do sorry. Please accept my deepest sympathy and know that Jesus is wrapping his arms around you and the family and is comforting you all with his peace. 🤗❤️🙏🏻

  • Donald Matthews
    What a magnificent athlete! RIP, Sir, and thanks for the memories.

  • Jan P. Williams
    My Condolences to his Family.
    Loved to watch him Play football years ago. RIP Phil


  • Susan Peña MacCaskey
    Condolences to his family and friends. RIP


  • Donald Matthews
    Phil participated in an American Legion baseball game with us I believe in the summer of 62. He just played a couple innings. The game was at the Olive Rec. He singled and tried to stretch it to a double. He had the base but he was so fast he slid head first and passed OVER the bag bumping his groin in the process! He was tagged out. He came back to the bench with a strange gait and said, "DAMN, this game is rough!" We all laughed! I'll always remember that! I didn't know him personally, but thoroughly enjoyed watching his exploits on the gridiron! RIP, my friend!

    Darlene Culotta
    Donald Matthews Phil had a gift of making people laugh.

    Donald Matthews
    Darlene Culotta he had a great quality about him. A natural leader. He was a good childhood friend of a former baseball opponent that played at Burroughs: Terre Hirsch had nothing but great things to say about Phil.

  • Dennis Goff
    So sad you are experiencing another loss DeeDee...may God bless you and strengthen you in your walk of faith...
    Love you DeeDee.

  • Patricia Sorley
    R.I.P. old Bulldog. You were so well liked and admired in high school. All best wishes to your family. Sorry you have left us.
 
FEBURARY 20, 2023 UPDATE
Today Chris Bird posted on Facebook: 

Celebrating my Dad, Phillip J. Culotta, Class of 63’. He went home to be with his Lord on November 8, 2022. (1st pic is with my Mom, Class of 62’) He will be missed. ❤️







5 comments:

  1. So sorry! Always liked Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about this. Always had a big crush on Phil in high school. Such a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the kind and special comments about Phil. I never got to see him play at Burbank, but we have some old footage which was so special for me to see. I was so blessed to marry Phil in 1998. He was my soulmate, best friend and larger than life. Sharing almost 25 yrs with this man was such a joy. Upon moving to AZ in 2000, he began coaching high school football, won a state championship, later coached high school girls lacrosse & along the way coached many student athletes in different sports, which was his biggest passion. He is known here in AZ as "The Coach", many knew who he was, but never knew his name.....as you all have said, he was an amazing athlete along with being an amazing man. I can't begin to tell you how many people he touched along the way. I miss him everyday but I know his body is healed, he's enjoying heaven, playing sports, making folks laugh and sharing his christian faith. Probably suited up immediately to play a Burbank vs Burroughs football game! Forever a Bulldog and forever in our hearts. Until we see you again, all our love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the good Lord continue to comfort you and your family I pray…

      Delete
  4. My name is George Shackelford, Phil work for me in 1984 for 3 years. I just received this sad in formation today of his death . Phil was not only a good friend but his input helping me build our business. I remember he always so positive and had more energy than anyone I knew . He was well love by so many people.

    ReplyDelete