Thursday, September 10, 2020

Gerry Mylroie, BHS '63 (1945-2020)



Today I received the following email from Jacqueline Mylroie, Gerry’s daughter:

It is with great sadness I share the passing of my father, Gerald Richard Mylroie BHS class of '63. Dad didn't share much with us about his time in high school. I knew he reflected fondly as student body president with a classmate I was lucky to meet, Dave ReBack, their senior year. During this time he worked on a beautification project (so Dad!). He was on the golf team, played football, and had his first job mowing lawns up and down Delaware Rd. My brothers, Robert and John, and I welcome your stories and remembrance.

He has gone quietly to join his mother Grace and older brother Jim and all those friends and family who left before him.

https://www.hobbsfuneralhome.com/obituary/gerald-mylroie



Gerald Richard Mylroie
June 30, 1945 - August 20, 2020

GERALD'S OBITUARY
Gerald Richard Mylroie, 75, father of 3 children, husband to Elizabeth, passed away in his Cape Elizabeth home on August 20, 2020, surrounded by family. He was diagnosed three years ago with stage 4 glioblastoma, an aggressive brain cancer.

Gerry was born June 30, 1945, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Lt. Col. Robert Joseph and Grace (Sill) Mylroie. He grew up in Burbank, California, and attended Burbank High School. He obtained a BS in Environmental Design at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona ('68), followed by MA in Planning Urban & Regional Environmental Design, USC ('70). Later, while living with his family and working in Chicago he completed an MBA, University of Chicago (‘86).

After moving to Washington D.C., he married Elizabeth Alma Silsby on September 1, 1979. Together they raised 3 children. He followed his passion with a lifelong career in city planning (AICP), design, and real estate which would take him from D.C. to Chicago, Connecticut and, for the past 20 years, Maine.

Gerry was involved with various planning committees and federal task forces on urban problems and policy development. He was especially proud of his support of the Nature Conservancy and was a longtime member of the Sierra Club.

In retirement, Gerry remained devoted to his family, landscape design, long walks at local beaches, scenic drives, fly fishing, touring ice cream stands, and Congdon’s Donut Shop in Wells. He was a Free Mason and member of the Triangle Lodge in Portland.

His family remembers him for always wanting to make the world a better and more beautiful place. His constantly positive outlook on life meant that each day began with “I will have a great day!” and he wished for each dinner to begin with dessert.

He is survived by Elizabeth, his wife of 41 years, his son Robert and daughter-in-law Katie, his son John, his daughter Jacqueline, and two grandchildren, Vera and Oliver.

In memoriam, donations can be made at https://www.sierraclub.org/maine

RIP Gerry.

A FEW FACEBOOK COMMENTS
Pam Kirkwood
Gerry also was a MARINE...SEMPER FIDELIS GERRY❤️❤️❤️

Linda C. Mustion
https://bhsinmemoriam.blogspot.com/2020/09/gerald-richard-mylroie-bhs-1963.html

Nancy McNamara Zambrana
Rest in Peace

Mary Boriso Jordan
Rest in peace, Gerry....🌹

Nancy Fischer
RIP

Sharon Webster-nersesian
RIP

Pat Purser Bushman
My prayers and condolences to the family. So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Harold Maxham
Sorry to hear of the passing of Gerry. He was a great team mate and always gave 100% all the time. Now he is playing with the other Bulldogs in Heaven. RIP Gerry.

Sue Burnette
RIP Gerry

Loanne Walker Ginchereaux
❤️πŸ™πŸ»

Jaydean Gordon Dyer
He was well liked. One of the nicest guys in our class and a all around talented person. I know he will be missed. Condolences to the family. RIP Gerry.

Carrie Diaz-Lathouwers
My condolences to all his family and friends. RIP.

Vicki Herrin Fields
Rest in Peace

Nick Liosis
Memory Eternal ❤πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Carol Davidson Baird
I am so saddened by this news. He was such a good friend to me and we were in lots of classes together. What a lovely guy. What a loss to leave so soon. Condolences to the family from me and my husband.

Dennis Goff
...everything he touched seem to turn to gold!!
RIP....Amen.

Janet Woerner
RIP Gerry. Prayers to his family. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

Dennis Roberson
Gerry and I played little league together at McCambridge Park. Good friend and a good guy. Very sorry to hear this. RIP

Warren Swanson
You can tell by the smile (same at old and young) he was a nice guy. One of those we younger bulldogs looked up to.

Timothy Avery
My memory of him is that he was nice to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I was Gerry's roommie at Aliso Hall, CalPoly Pomona 1964-65. we were also members (and both served terms as President) of the Circle K Club, which was the college campus extension of Kiwanis International. It was actually quite fraternal. We had a great bunch of guys; did some good deeds; and had the best parties on campus! I'm sworn to secrecy about some of our college exploits, but I can reveal that he was a very organized and serious student of Environmental Planning and Design, but had a pretty wicked sense of humor after hours. We went our separate ways after college, and, of course, the Vietnam War invaded our lives. Me, Air Force, him, Marines. What led me to this commentary, at the ripe young age of 77, was cleaning out my old business records.
    While Gerry got a real job in his field, I decided to pursue a youthful passion for gems by becoming a Gemologist and international gem dealer. I happened to notice that he bought what I believe was a diamond engagement ring from me in July, 1979. And I wondered--whatever happened to my old Roomie. So I Googled him. Though I'm saddened by his passing, I'm happy to see he lived a good life, had a loving family, and success in his career. Can't get better than that, Roomie. Rest in Peace. Geo

    ReplyDelete