Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Ron Everett, BHS '58 (1940-2020)

Ronald Murray Everett
October 2, 1940 - July 5, 2020

Sadly, we just learned from sister-in-law, Linda Peterson Everett (BHS '67), that her husband Bob's brother, Ron Everett, passed away this past Sunday, July 5, 2020. She shared the above photo and following note written on Facebook by her nephew, Mark:

"Late last night or very early this morning my dad passed away. The past two to three years he dealt with medical challenges that slowly took from him that which we take for granted. His name was Ronald M. Everett but was know simply as "Ron". Losing my blood father to a plane crash at a very young age, my mom remarried Ron and from that day forward, he has been my "Dad". In the beginning, it was he, my mom, me and my sister. And then soon came three more sisters. Something that impressed me over the years he raised the five of us, was that he always treated us equally.

"We were both of similar stature, broader in the shoulders and thicker in the chest. In years gone by more that a couple times someone had said, you look like your dad. We'd smile at each other and just say thank you.

"If there was a memorial/celebration of life that could have been done Pre-Covid, I'm quite sure there would be a good number of people in attendance. Not just because we come from a large family but because he touched many lives. Yes he was a husband, father and grandfather but also
-Involved in his church for decades
-Participated in leadership for the Walnut Valley School District
And
-Participated in city politics for his city of Diamond Bar, CA. He was a Councilman and then held the position of Mayor of Diamond Bar.

"It was some months back we were told that his time may be near and Debbie and I went out to see him at the care facility he was at. We made up a little photo album for him to flip through and hopefully trigger memories. My sister Marla shared later that there were two pictures we put in the book of he with his two brothers and he'd tap his finger and linger on. I was able to hold his hand we shared a gaze but the ability to share in give and take conversation, that time was gone.

"If this had been fast and sudden, there would be more sorrow. But given the road he had traveled to get here, my feelings today are more of joy knowing he is in heaven and is suffering no more.

"Blessings to my sister Marla and brother-in-law Steve Rickard, who for so many months drove up to my folks and cared for dad, daily. I am moved by their enduring care and love."

Linda commented:
"Mark, I am touched by your beautiful tribute to Ron and so proud of you for those words you chose to honor him. My brother-in-law, Ron, was one of the finest people I have ever known. As you know, it is because of Ron and Kay that I met and then married his brother, Bob, and those three Everett "boys", Ron, Stan and Bob, are special indeed. I loved sweet, gentle and kind Ron and Bob and I will miss him here on earth always. He is now at peace."

My mother was good friends with Ron's mother, Anita, and my sister, Susie Palmer Wheeler, was in Ron's class at BHS. Here are a couple of photos she found in their 1956 yearbook when they were in 10th grade.





RIP Ron.

No comments:

Post a Comment