Tuesday, May 24, 2011

BHS Grad Needs Help For His Daughter

Received the following email this morning and for anyone who would like to help or offer words of encouragment, Richard's email address is rcrescitelli@cox.net

Hi, the following is from Richard Crescitelli BHS '59...Richard has faithfully been the caretaker of our BHS and JBHS Memorial Pages forever...Just hoping that you Cathy can put the word out there and that maybe Guy's Foundation can offer some help and that perhaps, Alan can offer some words of encouragement, since he and Blyden have been through all of this kidney transplant stuff. We appreciate anything any or all of you can do to help...
Love, Pam

Theresa's Transplant
Monday, May 23, 2011 3:52 PM
From: "Richard Crescitelli"
View contact details
To: "'Pam Kirkwood'"
Hello Pam... Well the cast is off my hand so I can get the pages all caught up. It will take a little bit of time, but I will add all the names that came in. The other bit of news is that my Daughter Theresa finally has a kidney donor! We are having to find ourselves having to try to raise a litlle funding since the transplant is to take place in July. I don't know if this is a "loop" type of item, but I thought I would share what she wrote.
Take care, and hope to see you folks soon.
Rick and Barb Crescitelli


My Situation As Of Now
Theresa Klug
844 Cypress Pines Way
Henderson, NV 89002
702 566-0960

Dear Reader,

It is now Friday, May 20, 2011. After 7 years and over 2,120 intravenous catheter needle sticks into my arms, a miracle is within sight!

My cousin Cindy, who is also my Godmother, has been tested and found to be a suitable match for me. This sweetest angel is coming to save my life after my Mom and my Stepsister Lisa tried to donate a kidney to me. My Mom was a good match but not a suitable surgical candidate. Lisa was not a good match at all, however I am so grateful to them for getting tested and trying.

After 7 years of trying to hang on and stay positive, heaven has found a willing and loving heart who will share the gift of life with me! All of us are very frightened at what we will be going through during and after the transplant, but the love we all share will give us the strength to see this through. The cost of a transplant surgery is enormous, not just for the surgery. It seems that the donor will be in the UCLA area for about a week, however, I must be in the area for a month or more, and I am considered a high risk patient because of the blood disease (TTP) that destroyed my kidneys seven years ago.

After all the researching we have done, the average cost of housing in the hospital area is about $125.00 per day. When you add in food, fuel costs, and other necessities it is easy to see that a few thousand dollars a month could easily be exceeded. In addition we must face the possibility of having to take up to 50 medications a day for several months after surgery. As you can see the costs continue to escalate. My Dad just smiles and says that I am worth every dime and Mom and Dad continue to cut back so there will be funding available to get me through all of this.

My Mom and Dad have spent and continue to spend a tremendous amount of time and money over the years to keep me in as good a position as they possibly could. They have put up with many severe mood swings, anger, and outright hostility from me brought on by the chemical and hormonal changes of the stress of dialysis. They know fully well that I wish I could control these outbreaks but I just am not able to do it because of my disease.

We all had a very touching moment on Mother’s Day when my 8 year old son said, with tears in his eyes, “Mommy, what am I going to do if I don’t have you any more”? Of course we all reassured him that everything is going to be fine, however no 8 year old who has never had a “healthy” Mom should not have to worry about such things.

I have all the emotional support in the world from my Mom, Dad, and my friends, however I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with some of the funding that is going to be required in my effort to stay alive. Our resources have been stretched to the breaking point with just the costs of preparation for the transplant. We have been making frequent trips to UCLA for testing and meetings from our home in Nevada. These trips, while necessary, have been very expensive considering the cost of fuel, food, and lodging.

I am now 28 years old and ready and anxious to begin a normal life with my son and family. I realize that my life will always be in some jeopardy but I intend to live every day of my life as thought there may be no tomorrow. I know that each day of life ithat we have s a blessing.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Theresa J. Klug, and her family

No comments:

Post a Comment