Saturday, August 8, 2015

Invitation for Mrs Toni Cannon Memorial Celebration to her former students and former colleagues

Cathy, would you please post this on your BHS blog.  Thank you, Alan

CLOVENNE T. "TONI" CANNON

December 7, 1923 - Los Angeles, California  ~  July 27, 2015 - Montrose, California



Please Join Family and Other Friends

 To Celebrate Toni's Life
Saturday, September 19, 2015
1:00 P.M. - 3:30 P.M.
Descanso Gardens
Van de Kamp Hall
1418 Descanso Drive
La Canada - Flintridge
Buffet  Luncheon  Will  Be  Served
Please RSVP by September 5
Holly Cannon: 818-970-6129
The Photo Above of Toni Was Taken December 7, 2014, Her 91st Birthday
PREVIOUS EMAIL FROM ALAN LANDROS
CLOVENNE T. "TONI" CANNON
December 1923 ~ July 27, 2015
Mrs. Toni Cannon passed away this past Monday, July 27, 2015, at age 91.  She had suffered a broken hip a few months ago, followed by complications.  She passed away in Montrose under hospice care at a medical facility.
Mrs. Cannon taught at Burbank High School for 30 years from 1960 until her retirement in 1990.  Before teaching at BHS she taught at John Muir Junior High in Burbank for four years in the late 1950's.  At BHS she taught psychology, government, senior studies, senior seminar, and for four years she headed the BHS Career Center.  Several times over her years at BHS she was voted "favorite teacher" by the student body, and had Ceralbus yearbooks dedicated to her.  Mrs. Cannon attended the BHS '70 class reunions in 1990 and 2010.  She lived a very active life during her retirement years.
Mrs. Cannon had lived in La Crescenta for decades, and remained in her own home until just the past few months when her health began to decline.  She is survived by her daughter, Holly Cannon.  A memorial gathering will be held in her honor later on.
Alan Landros
("favorite endomorph" of Mrs. Cannon during the 1969/70 school year)

AUGUST 10, 2015 UPDATE
A few Facebook comments...

Sue Cooper
She introduced me to my chosen field, psychology.

Debbie Leaf
She is one of the reasons I got a BA in psychology from UCLA, and to this day I am a political junkie based on Ms. Cannon also sparking my interest in government based on the way she taught that class.

Kathleen Schaedler
Rest in peace Mrs. Cannon. You were one of the great ones for sure...

Roxy Flores Neale (BHS Class of 84')
Mrs. Cannon was my senior seminar teacher and directed me to do great works for my project. She also taught a group of us how to do 1040Ez taxes (which at 17, seemed an impossible task). She taught me not to fear government and that I was a part of it and to stay involved. She was a great teacher!

Edward Levitt
I will always have a good memory of this fine BHS teacher having had her for senior seminar in 12th grade. R I P

Michelle Lea
Here is what she taught psychology, government, senior studies, senior seminar, and for four years she headed the BHS Career Center.

Don Gockel
Back in my day, the class was called senior studies and yes I believe Ms. Cannon was my teacher also.

Karen Jonkey Latimer
Thank you for posting about the memorial. I appreciate the info!! She looked as beautiful as the last time I saw her smile emoticon

Pat Bushman
I was never in any of her classes. So sorry to hear she passed away.

Sarah Amos
Great teacher.

Alisa Janell
she was great!

Kathleen Gaston Hitt
She was my teacher. Great teacher. RIP Ms. Cannon!

Mary Lou Struck Shelton
One of my favorites from 1964

Curt Conant
She was one of my teachers at John Muir. She had control of the classroom. I remember her not putting up with any disruptions. Not that I was disruptive. Or maybe...

Laura Slonecker Jolls
Mrs Cannon (Toni), it was an honor to have you as my Psychology teacher at BHS, you were definitely one of my favorites. You welcomed all of my debates and many questions. Thank you for being a great mentor to me. Peace and Blessings to you and your family. heart emoticon

Jeanne Provensen
I had her as a psychology teacher at BHS too. RIP.

Tami Bradley
She was awesome!!

Anita Page
RIP Ms. Cannon. Loved her for Psch Teacher.

Carolyn Purser
So sorry to hear this. Great teacher. May she rest in peace.

Keith Stone
She brought in someone to introduce us to tai chi in senior anthro. I was immediately drawn to it, and after numerous starts and stops, I'm still practicing it to this day. And it was due to Toni Cannon.

Laurie Deatrick
She was one of the few teachers who encouraged constructive debates and out of the box learning. A very accepting, encouraging, and gracious teacher.

Lorna Till Maxwell
Mrs. Cannon was my psychology teacher at BHS, and she also got me involved as a Special Olympics volunteer. She was an inspiration to me! A very kind-hearted, understanding, and dedicated teacher. She will be missed! My sympathies to her family.

Linda Everett
Mrs. Cannon was such a wonderful, inspiring teacher....... She was one of my favorite teachers at BHS.......

Mike Feix
Toni was not only a fine teacher for her students, she was a very helpful and supportive colleague. As a new teacher to the social studies department she helped me tremendously. I will always be thankful for her support. A fine teacher, a good lady, and a friend.

Marlee Thompson Edge
I worked with her in the career center from '86-`89. She had great advice and was helpful to students and colleagues. A nice lady that will be missed.

Carter Johnston
Of all my high school teachers she and Carmen Simms (Spanish Teacher) had the most beneficial impact on my life. My thanks to both of them.

Kymberlee Hardy
She was the best mentor n friend and made sure I made it in life I felt like failure my whole life she made me feel like I was a winner ! R.I.P Mrs. cannon

Alan Landros
Invitation to all the former students of Mrs. Cannon who have posted here for the Memorial Celebration for her on Saturday, September 19, 2015 at Descanso Gardens, Van de Kamp Hall, 1418 Descanso Dr., La Canada - Flintridge, from 1:00 P.M. to 3:30 P.M. Buffet luncheon will be served. Please RSVP by September 5 to her daughter, Holly Cannon at 818-970-6129 or cannonholly@aol.com

Terry Cuzzort
I loved her! I used to call her "Boss". She was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment